Top 30 80s Wedding Party Songs
When it comes to weddings, we know that when the time to party arrives, it’s important now more than ever that the two families get together and embrace each other’s dance moves in order to properly begin to form a bond. We also know that there are many factors affecting the enjoyability of the moment; the perfect lighting, the right amount of smoke, the shiny reflectiveness of the disco balls, the quality of the food (and the drinks!), but most importantly the music. That’s right - your choice of music has much more impact on your party than you think!
As you probably already know, music can affect a person’s mood, sometimes drastically. This is why it’s so important to choose the music that makes the mood. If you put on a sad song, the mood with become somber, and your wedding will become all doom and gloom very quick. However, if you play a happy song, the positive atmosphere about the guests will increase, and your wedding will be a jolly time to remember.
So which songs to choose? We understand that choosing a track list can be stressful - which genre? Which artists? Which decade? Which theme? Don’t worry, we’re here to ease your conscience and assist you will selecting the perfect playlist. At weddings, the mood is usually exciting, happy, and harmonious, and in order to keep that mood going all throughout your event, you need some top hits that radiate those emotions - and we know just the thing!
The 80s - a time where pop culture made a huge breakthrough in all aspects of our lives; movies, fashion, appearances, but most importantly, music. Following the deaths of huge 60’s and 70’s singers such as Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley, huge new artists such as Madonna, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Freddie Mercury emerged in this decade. It was a new era - an era of pop. The fact that the 80s is so adored by not just the millennials, but the youthful too, just goes to show how it was and still is obviously a very popular decade.
The 80s was probably the decade that most parents of the new generation lived their teenage years, so not only will 80s tunes throw them back, but they’ll be able to take their children with them and delve them deep into the world of retro. They’ll be able to relive their childhood whilst sharing it with their kids, and therefore bonds will grow stronger, memories will grow fonder, and emotions will become happier as a wave of nostalgia washes over everyone in attendance.
As previously stated, music in the 80s was impacted hugely by pop culture, in all genres. All the popular songs from this time period seem to have that disco party kick, that spark of excitement with every rhythm. This is why 80s hits are perfect for your wedding party - to keep that spark of excitement ignited all day and all night long.
So enough talk - here are the top 30 80s band songs to make your wedding party an event to be remembered!
- Take On Me - A-ha (1985)
- Every Breath You Take - The Police (1983)
- I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner (1984)
- Material Girl - Madonna (1984)
- Should I Stay Or Should I Go - The Clash (1982)
- Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics (1983)
- Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears of Fears (1985)
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper (1983)
- Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (1982)
- Don’t Stop Believing - Journey (1981)
- Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr. (1984)
- Don’t You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds (1985)
- Footloose - Kenny Loggins (1984)
- Girls On Film - Duran Duran (1981)
- Babooshka - Kate Bush (1980)
- Kids In America - Kim Wilde (1981)
- Beat It - Michael Jackson (1982)
- Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson (1988)
- Thriller - Michael Jackson (1983)
- Physical - Olivia Newton-John (1981)
- I Think We’re Alone Now - Tiffany (1987)
- Mickey - Toni Basil (1981)
- Africa - Toto (1982)
- Another One Bites The Dust - Queen (1980)
- Love Shack - The B-52’s (1989)
- Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N’ Roses (1987)
- Super Freak - Rick James (1981)
- Don’t Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin (1988)
- Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush (1985)
- When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going - Billy Ocean (1986)
That’s it! You’ve reached the end of our list of 80’s songs we think would be perfect for your wedding.
If you’re all about the 80’s craze, we have some ideas for a retro themed wedding down below...!
- Glow sticks
If you really want a blast from the past, why not bring back these neon lights for a totally radical party?
- Retro candy bar
If you want to indulge all your senses into the 80’s bring back the classic nosh like Skittles, Nerds, Push Pops, Chupa Chups, and maybe even Coke in a glass bottle!
- Photo booth
It’s a no brainer that a photo booth would be the perfect addition to your ultimate retro theme, your guests would have so much fun dressing up and having a laugh; and they’d have the polaroid pics to cherish the memories.
- 3D glasses
These cool shades will allow you and your guests to view your wedding party from a whole new perspective, or should I say a whole old perspective?
- 80’s cinema
To put your 3D glasses to good use, put them into action by showing the classic throwback 80’s movies such as The Breakfast Club, Indiana Jones, Labyrinth, The Shining, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, E.T, and more of your faves!
If you’re still stuck for ideas for an 80’s themed wedding party, click here for some more assistance which will hopefully make your dreams of a retro theme into a reality!