How far in advance should we start planning our wedding?
Planning your wedding can be both exciting and daunting all at the same time. With so much to think about, plan, decide and book, many elements of the big day need to be put in place months before.
The ideal timeframe for planning a wedding can vary depending on several factors, such as the size and complexity of the event, your desired venue, and the availability of your preferred suppliers. However, a general recommendation is to start planning your wedding at least 12 to 18 months in advance. This will provide you with ample time to secure your venue, confirm your suppliers and vendors, and make all the necessary arrangements.
To help you along the way, here is a rough timeline that can guide you through the wedding planning process:
12-18 months before the wedding:
- Determine your budget.
- Create a guest list.
- Start researching and visiting potential venues.
- Book your ceremony and reception venues.
- Research and hire a wedding planner (if you want to pass on the main responsibility!)
- Begin selecting preferred suppliers such as photographers, caterers, florists and music.
9-12 months before the wedding:
- Choose your wedding party.
- Shop for your wedding dress and other attire.
- Send save-the-date cards to guests.
- Finalise contracts with your confirmed suppliers.
- Start planning your honeymoon.
- Begin thinking about wedding themes, colours, and decor.
6-9 months before the wedding:
- Order bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen attire.
- Plan transportation for the wedding day.
- Arrange accommodations for out-of-town guests.
- Start working on your wedding registry.
- Send invitations to guests.
- Begin planning the rehearsal dinner.
3-6 months before the wedding:
- Plan the ceremony and reception details, such as music, readings, and seating arrangements.
- Schedule dress fittings.
- Organise any required legal paperwork.
- Plan the menu and cake design.
- Finalise honeymoon plans.
- Consider wedding favours or gifts for guests.
1-3 months before the wedding:
- Purchase wedding rings.
- Finalise details with suppliers and vendors.
- Have a trial run for hair and makeup.
- Create a detailed wedding-day timeline.
- Apply for a marriage license (if required).
- Confirm RSVPs and finalise guest count.
1-2 weeks before the wedding:
- Double check and confirm all arrangements with suppliers and vendors.
- Prepare and pack for your honeymoon.
- Finalise seating arrangements and create place cards.
- Attend the final dress fitting.
- Give the final headcount to your caterer.
The week of the wedding:
- Delegate any last-minute tasks to your Maid of Honour or Bridesmaids!
- Confirm the timeline with all vendors and suppliers.
- Rehearse the ceremony.
- Relax and take care of yourself before the big day!
Remember that this timeline is just a general guideline, and you may need to adjust it based on your specific circumstances. Starting early and staying organised throughout the process is key and will help ensure a smoother and less stressful wedding planning experience.
Thinking of having a band at your wedding reception? Or to walk down the aisle to a live version of your favourite song? At Tailored Entertainment we have many varied genres of bands, singers and musicians to cater for all your requirements and musical styles. Many of our acts are in high demand so as soon as you have a fixed wedding date and venue, get in touch and chat to our team of knowledgeable agents who can help you find the perfect musical entertainment for your wedding.